Hey, there! Dr. Michael Webster here, Owner and Implant Dentist at Kelowna Dental Centre.
“What is the dental implant procedure like?” is a question we hear almost every day from patients. So, we thought providing an overview of the procedure could help you better understand dental implants and determine their potential utility in your oral health planning.
Let’s explore dental implants procedure in more detail.
Dental Implants Procedure Overview
First we’ll talk about what dental implants are used for. Essentially, they’re a prosthesis that integrates with the jaw or skull bone, providing stable support for various dental restorations. Dental implants are vital to restoring smiles and serve as a reliable orthodontic anchor, whether it’s a crown, bridge, denture, or even a facial prosthesis. They are suitable if you have one or more missing teeth or would like a more permanent dental solution compared to something like unsupported dentures.
The dental implant procedure involves surgically placing titanium posts into the jawbone, creating the foundation needed to securely attach aesthetic restorations like crowns, dentures, or porcelain bridges.
All in all, dental implants improve your smile, help preserve jawbone health, and prevent further tooth loss.
The great news is, dental implants are a more permanent solution than dentures, so once healed, with the right implant care, your implants will last a long time.
Dental Implants Procedure: Step-by-Step
Let’s break down each step involved in the dental implants procedure and recovery process.
- Consultation: First, we’ll evaluate your oral health, take X-rays, and discuss your medical history to determine if you’re a suitable candidate for dental implants.
- Treatment Planning: If you’re a good candidate for dental implants, we’ll develop a personalized treatment plan, taking into account the number of implants needed, the condition of your jawbone, and any additional procedures that may be required, such as bone grafting or tooth extractions. This will impact what type of dental implant you might need.
- Preparatory Procedures: In some cases, preparatory procedures may be necessary before implant placement. This could involve extracting any damaged or decayed teeth or addressing gum disease for example.
- Implant Placement: Once you are ready for the implant placement, we administer local anesthesia to numb the area, and then surgically place the dental implant into your jawbone. The implant is a small titanium post that acts as a replacement for the tooth root.
- Osseointegration: After the implant is placed, a process called osseointegration occurs, during which the implant fuses with the jawbone. This process typically takes several months, allowing the implant to become stable and secure within the bone.
- Abutment Placement: Once osseointegration is complete, you’ll undergo a minor surgical procedure to attach an abutment to the implant. The abutment serves as a connector between the implant and the artificial tooth (crown) that will be placed later.
- Dental Crown Placement: After the gums have healed around the abutment, we’ll take impressions of your mouth to create a custom dental crown that matches the color, size, and shape of your natural teeth. The crown is then attached to the abutment, completing the dental implant restoration.
- Follow-up Care: Regular follow-up appointments will be scheduled to monitor the healing process, check the implant’s stability, and ensure that your oral health is maintained. It’s essential to maintain good oral hygiene practices and visit us for routine check-ups and cleanings.
Keep in mind that the timeline for how long a dental implant procedure might take and the healing process may vary depending on your individual case and the type of implant. It’s essential to book a consultation with us so that we can provide you with personalized guidance and care throughout the process.
Dr. Michael Webster: Your Dedicated Implant Dentist
Since purchasing and re-founding Kelowna Dental Centre in 2013, my commitment to innovation and patient-centricity have been our clinic’s defining features. As your trusted implant dentist, I’m proud to serve our patients with customized, seamless dental implants and exceptional results.
I’ve travelled the world to earn industry-leading dental implant credentials and deliver the results our patients dream of. Click here for a complete list of my dental implant credentials.
Dental Implant Questions? We’re Here to Help
There you have it, a short and sweet review of the dental implant procedure.
If you’re considering dental implants to enhance your oral health and overall well-being, get in touch with us today. We’d love to walk you through the process and work together to define your goals, then create a comprehensive care plan to get you there.
Schedule your dental implant consultation with us today – together, we’ll make your dream smile a reality.
We can’t wait to care for you!
Kelowna Dental Centre Owner
Implant Dentist Kelowna
Kelowna Implant Dentist
Dental Implants Kelowna